Site Inactive
Membership
Server Status
Who's Online
Search TORHead

Polls
Which day you can For Karraga‘s palace op?
Monday after 6 gmt (4/12)

Thuesday after 6 gmt (3/12)

Wensday after 6 gmt (5/12)

Thursday after 6 gmt (4/12)

Friday after 6 gmt (4/12)

Saturday after 6 gmt (6/12)

Light & Dark Status

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dead_Serious

re: Activision sais

This time, lets bore you with an interview from the Activision boss Bobby Kotick.

"Lucas is going to be the principal beneficiary of the success of Star Wars," Kotick said Monday at the Reuters Media Summit. "We've been in business with Lucas for a long time and the economics will always accrue to the benefit of Lucas, so I don't really understand how the economics work for Electronic Arts."

While backhanding The Old Republic as successful—just not for EA—Kotick also spread doubt that it'll be a sustainable game. "If you look at the history of the people investing in an MMO and achieving success, it's a small number," he opined.

Kotick's appraisal is, of course, not without self-interest. Reuters reported an analyst's note that The Old Republic, which releases Dec. 20, could draw 1.5 to 2 million subscribers "which would qualify as a major success for EA." Down the line, some 3 to 4 million World of Warcraft subscribers could be enticed to buy it.
And the interview goes on with further talk.

-For the less informed, Kotick is generally not easily tolerated by gamers because despite being good at his job, he treats games strictly as business.But he's commenting on the game's profitability, which is probably one of Bobby's favorite subjects.
This interview specificaly, raised a lot of comments, my favorite starts like this "Kotick is trolling EA, not showing business savvy". I am not that deep into the subject to annotate, but the general idea was that Activision has Blizzard, which has WoW. EA is preparing to launch The Old Republic, which will be a direct competitor to WoW in the pay-to-play subscription market. EA is using the broadly known Star Wars license to try to gain a competitive advantage over WoW.So Kotick is concerned about what that advantage could mean for ToR, or he wouldn't have legitimized the competition by trying to smack talk it (and noting that WoW has no such license). Kotick also went for the low road when he stood over the corpses of other MMOs that failed to dethrone WoW.

~ this is not my personal opinion, as this is the first time dealing with activision's staff's rumors interviews and stuff,but i got intrigued by all the commotion around the particular subject.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Force Secret Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed